Saturday, May 1, 2010

Flex Q&A


There was a time, not too long ago, where you couldn’t turn on any Latin radio station or Latin television station without hearing “Te Quiero.” Part of the romantic reggaeton movement, the song became a massive, Grammy-winning single for the Panamanian singer/songwriter, Flex. Bringing his own brand of romantic style to the world, Flex continues his success with his third LP, Romantic Style Parte 3: Desde La Esencia and its premiere single “Besos De Amor,” featuring Ricky Rick of Kumbia All Starz.

Eric Chavez: Let’s talk about your new album. How would you describe the songs on the record and how is this disc different from your previous ones?

Flex: This album has a lot of reggae, Panamanian style in Spanish. But also the disc characterizes the romantic style, just like in “Te Amo Tanto,” “Te Quiero,” songs like that. But in this disc we didn’t include any terms like “te amo”, or “te quiero”. These terms and phrases did not fit into the album towards the end. But we did include a lot of romanticism. There are many songs with distinct poetry and lyrics. For example there is a song entitled “Segunda seguera,” which is a song about blind people who may be in love and have a significant other. Sad, but at the same time full of love and passion. Several other songs talk about love, just as much as songs talking about losing love.

EC: Your song, “Te Quiero,” was so successful. Does that put any pressure on you for the new album?

F: Well, no, practically there is always pressure, but I try not to pressure myself. We should always try to do things with the same attitude and character so that in the end everything turns out alright. This is my third disk, and we placed everything that is essentially Panamanian music. After our hit, “Te Quiero,” we returned to the basics that identifies us: which is romantic style, and that is what we are presenting. Of course we need to bring musical alternatives.

EC: With all the variations in your sound, who are your influences?

F: As influences I have Juan Luis Guerra, Charlie Zaa, Cristian Castro, and also the American genre in which Christina Aguilera is listed. She serves as my English inspiration. Also the reggae and rock genres.

EC: Aside from the influences, you have worked with many major artists such as Belinda, Ricky Rick, etc..but who has taught you the most as an artist?

F: I don’t think it’s a matter of who taught you the most. I believe that you learn from everyone. With every person you experiment a relationship; how the person acts, how the person does things. And everything that I have learned from other people, I try to apply them to my music and shows.

EC: How do you take the criticism given to you as an artist and as a person>

F: I take criticism as something constructive; as something that we need to listen. I always take them as an observation, no matter if it’s good or bad. If people talk a lot about the same subject, then it is because something is going on. But in the end, we always look at it as something constructive, never negative.

EC: Speaking of that, “Te Quiero” won a Grammy. I’m just curious where you keep that.

F: My Grammy is smartly guarded in my house! It is in a glass compartment.

EC: With all the success, you have a lot of people thinking of you as a sex symbol. How do you see yourself in terms of this?

F: As a sexual symbol, I don’t think I am. I don’t see myself that way.

EC: I know you came to Atlanta before, and it was a success, but do you plan on touring for the new record?

F: Of course. Starting in April it will be a bombardment of shows. Yes, we will be going to Atlanta as well as other American major cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment