Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Q&A with Atlanta Artist of the Week: Jon Secada


Along with Gloria Estefan and Julio Iglesias, Jon Secada paved the way for the future Latin explosion that is still on fire today. With worldwide smashes such as “Just Another Day,” “Angel,” and “Whipped,” Secada went on to become a music icon. In the past years, Secada’s career has still had steam, writing solid hits for other artists like Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Mandy Moore, and Gloria Estefan. Now, after a handful of cover albums, Secada is ready to spin back into the world of Latin pop, with his first proper LP since 2005’s Same Dream. Otra Vez, along with its first single “Dejame Querete (Mi Secreto)” have already set the Latin charts on fire, making Otra Vez the album Atlanta needs to own of the week.

Eric Chavez: First of all, I just want to congratulate you on “Dejame Querete,” it sounds amazing!

Jon Secada: Thank you brother, it is the new single from my first Spanish CD in seven years. It sort of reminds of my first CD and I’m really anxious to see if people are really going to like it.

EC: You have done so much television lately, especially on Mire Quien Baila. Do you think the exposure from those shows will help push the new disc?

JS: That’s why the CD means so much to me, because it’s been a while since I’ve done something like this. This all started back when I was doing a television show. I did the Latin American version of American Idol years ago. It kinda got the ball started on this CD.

EC: It was all over the news that you got seriously injured while on the show, Mire Quien Baila, how is your recovery coming along?

JC: I’m hanging in there brother! When I look back on the video, I realize how bad the fall was.

EC: Now in terms of the music on the new disc, how would you define the sound?

JC: This CD will be very pop-oriented and dance-y/fusion, but still from a Latin angle. That’s my thing, to try to always combine styles and make them my own.

EC: Now you have written some amazing songs for other artists, such as Mandy Moore, Jennifer Lopez, Gloria Estefan. Has there ever been a song you gave away that you wish you hadn’t?


JC: Not really. Well, that’s happened to me sometimes, like with “She’s All I Ever Had.” That was a huge hit for Ricky Martin. I wrote that for myself, but he heard the demo and fell in love with it and one thing led to another and I ended up giving it to him. At the end of the day, my career started as a songwriter and I’m proud of that, and I can always record versions of the songs myself.

EC: You have worked with Gloria Estefan for so many years, what is it like collaborating with her?
JC: It was wonderful. She’s a star in every since of the word. Working with her was always a pleasure. [She’s] very talented and knows exactly what she wanted. I can never say enough. She’ll always been a very important part of my career.

EC: Now the Latin explosion of the late 90’s has turned into a mainstream kind of thing. How does it feel to have been part of the early 90’s Latin scene, making way for future artists?

JC: It feels great to see what’s going on in the music scene. I’m proud that I was a part of the Latin scene in the early 90’s. Before me, Gloria, Julio Iglesias, and Santana did it and it’s a blessing to be on that list of artists.

EC: You’ve had so many hits, but if you were to put a song in a capsule for future generations to hear, what would it be?

JC: It’s all about “Just Another Day.” It was the first song I wrote for that record, the first song the record company heard, first single I recorded in both languages, the first demo of mine that anyone paid any attention to. I will never forget the day I wrote it. That will always stand out because it was truthfully the first of many things.

EC: Recently, you did the whole Chippendales thing, how does it feel to be almost 50 and still a sex symbol?

JC: I love it! I’m almost 50, but I’m also in the best shape of my life!

EC: And lastly, has there ever been a question you have always wanted to be asked, but no one ever asked you?

JC: At this point, I think most of my career and life and the kind of, I guess, artist I am,
the minute people talk to me, they find out what I am all about. What you see is what you get, so to speak. I am a working musician that got lucky and successful at another level. I started my career as a working musician in Miami and I’m still a working musician! Friends and people in the industry, when I come across then, I’m still Juan Secada!

Otra Vez was released on February 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment